The Poll Is Still Open, Your Vote Counts !

|







The poll in my previous post is still open, so take a look and VOTE! The poll is asking the question: "Is it Ok to actively study another school of ikebana?". This question came to me by chance a few months ago. I know someone who is studying with one school of ikebana and has just started studying another, and wants to keep it somewhat of a secret. Why, you might ask, would this be kept quiet? It seems that this person's sensei might not approve of their study of another school. So I was very curious about why that might be. I know lots of people who have have studied at least two schools, some have even gotten certificates from multiple schools. I started asking around and found that people were either very open to studying another school or very devoted to their current school. Perfectly understandable responses in my opinion.



Then I found MY answer to this question, from the So magazine, Volume 67, November-December 1987 in an article by famed Sogetsu artist and teacher Norman Sparnon:


"It was classical Rikka of the Ikenobo School which next took my attention. On receiving my Sogetsu Diploma I asked Mr. Sofu if I should study this classical style. He said "Yes, it will be good for your technique, and I will introduce you to a good teacher."

4 comments:

nordic lotus said...

You should go for it when you have the opportunity - you only live once. In Norway there is no other school than Sogetsu. If we had Ikenobo or another classical school I would try it as soon as I had got my Sogetsu teachers degree.

nordic lotus said...

You should go for it when you have the opportunity - you only live once. In Norway there is no other school than Sogetsu. If we had Ikenobo or another classical school I would try it as soon as I had got my Sogetsu teachers degree.

Keith said...

I definately will study another school. Luckily in Washington,DC we have a lot of schools available to study with. I just have to decide which one. I am leaning towards Ikenobo because it is a classical school. However Ichiyo has a certain appeal to me also.

Philippine flowers said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. Anyway, I'm been looking for topics as interesting as this. Looking forward to your next post.



-fern-

 
Locations of visitors to this page